Built in the 1930s in the Art Deco style, La Piscine Molitor fell into disuse in 1989. In May 2014 it was reopened as a hotel. Each room overlooks one of its 2 pools.

Built in the 1930s in the Art Deco style, La Piscine Molitor fell into disuse in 1989. In May 2014 it was reopened as a hotel. Each room overlooks one of its 2 pools.


Galerie Vivienne was built in 1823 by Marchoux, who was President of the Chamber of Notaries. It retains its original function as a covered street for shops and cafes. In its design, architect Francois Jean Delannoy adopted a neo-classical Pompeian style. Its grand mosaics are signed by Giandomenico Facchina who also decorated the Opera Garnier. 

Galerie Vivienne was built in 1823 by Marchoux, who was President of the Chamber of Notaries. It retains its original function as a covered street for shops and cafes. In its design, architect Francois Jean Delannoy adopted a neo-classical Pompeian style. Its grand mosaics are signed by Giandomenico Facchina who also decorated the Opera Garnier. 


This bookshop was started in 1951 by Marcel Bealu. It took over a butcher’s shop when it moved into this space. Word is one of its first customers was Jacques Lacan, who purchased a complete set of Shakespeare’s works and never paid for it in full.

This bookshop was started in 1951 by Marcel Bealu. It took over a butcher’s shop when it moved into this space. Word is one of its first customers was Jacques Lacan, who purchased a complete set of Shakespeare’s works and never paid for it in full.


One of a pair of stone lions outside the Bank of China Building. The stone lions were sculpted by Rudolfo Nolli, who also sculpted the marble reliefs at the Old Supreme Court and the Tanjong Pagar Railway Station.
Incidentally the Bank of China Building (1954) shares architects P & T Architects and Engineers Ltd with other great riverside landmarks like the Sassoon House (better known now as the Peace Hotel) and the HSBC Building along the Bund in Shanghai.

One of a pair of stone lions outside the Bank of China Building. The stone lions were sculpted by Rudolfo Nolli, who also sculpted the marble reliefs at the Old Supreme Court and the Tanjong Pagar Railway Station.

Incidentally the Bank of China Building (1954) shares architects P & T Architects and Engineers Ltd with other great riverside landmarks like the Sassoon House (better known now as the Peace Hotel) and the HSBC Building along the Bund in Shanghai.


Beautifully adorned columns at Chijmes, the former home of my alma mater. The school was started by four French nuns who arrived in Southeast Asia in caravans. The chapel was built in 1904 and the complex was used as a convent and a school for girls for 132 years. The last religious service was held here in 3 November 1983, after which the chapel was deconsecrated.

Beautifully adorned columns at Chijmes, the former home of my alma mater. The school was started by four French nuns who arrived in Southeast Asia in caravans. The chapel was built in 1904 and the complex was used as a convent and a school for girls for 132 years. The last religious service was held here in 3 November 1983, after which the chapel was deconsecrated.


The Cathay Building was once the tallest building in Singapore and housed the first air-conditioned public space, the Cathay Cinema. During the Japanese Occupation, the Cathay Building housed the Japanese Propaganda Department and Military Information Bureau. 

The Cathay Building was once the tallest building in Singapore and housed the first air-conditioned public space, the Cathay Cinema. During the Japanese Occupation, the Cathay Building housed the Japanese Propaganda Department and Military Information Bureau. 


The Princep Street Presbyterian Church was the first Straits Chinese church in Singapore. Although founded in 1843, its present Romanesque incarnation was built in 1930s by Swan and Maclaren. The church is nicknamed Malay Chapel to honour a presbyterian priest’s contribution to the Malay community in Singapore. 

The Princep Street Presbyterian Church was the first Straits Chinese church in Singapore. Although founded in 1843, its present Romanesque incarnation was built in 1930s by Swan and Maclaren. The church is nicknamed Malay Chapel to honour a presbyterian priest’s contribution to the Malay community in Singapore. 


The Ellison Building at Little India was built in the 1940s in the Art Deco style. It has been speculated that the building was built by Isaac Ellison, a Romanian Jew for his wife Flora. According to The Long and Windng Road, Isaac Ellison owned a bar near Raffles Hotel called Iky’s.

Calling anyone who knows anything about the Ellison building or Iky’s Bar! 

The Ellison Building at Little India was built in the 1940s in the Art Deco style. It has been speculated that the building was built by Isaac Ellison, a Romanian Jew for his wife Flora. According to The Long and Windng Road, Isaac Ellison owned a bar near Raffles Hotel called Iky’s.

Calling anyone who knows anything about the Ellison building or Iky’s Bar! 


A modern revamp of a traditional Singapore shophouse in the Central Business District

A modern revamp of a traditional Singapore shophouse in the Central Business District


Mosaic tiles used in Peranakan shophouses.

Mosaic tiles used in Peranakan shophouses.